How we nourish ourselves through food is as fundamental to our health as the air we breathe and the water we drink. The decisions you make when you buy food can affect the health of yourself and your family.
Dr Spitz explains how eating properly can affect your health and weight on his weight loss blog
What you can do:
- Choose locally grown, organic produce whenever possible. Apples, grapes, green beans, pears, peaches, strawberries and spinach have been shown to have especially high pesticide residues.
- Avoid food preservatives such as saccharin, aspartame and olestra.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Avoid white flour, sugar and salt
- Make sure you are getting enough antioxidants by eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. They also contain important phytonutrients.
- Know where your fish comes from. Unfortunately, fish, an intrinsically healthy food, often contains PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and/ or mercury. Choose smaller fish, which do not bio-accumulate as many toxic chemicals and choose fish from more pristine waters such as those in Alaska.
- After you make these smart food choices, enjoy eating and know you are doing your best for yourself and your family.
- Eat free range chicken, cage free eggs, and Grass Fed Beef
Learn How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
By David Spitz DC