Muscle tension and stress can make everyday life quite unbearable. Many of the muscle relaxants and pain medications can cause side effects and cannot be used while operating vehicles and working at a normal job. That is why it is best to consider natural alternatives that can help ease muscle pain and not interact with any other medications that you may be taking. There are many things you can do to prevent and treat muscle cramps and spasms that can be found below.
Muscle Spasm Causes
There are many people at risk for muscle spasms. If you have diabetes, liver, nerve, or thyroid disorders you may also be at a higher risk for cramps and spasms. Those with high blood pressure and who are on medication may find that leg cramps due to depletion of minerals in the body.
What Can Be Done to Prevent Muscle Spasms?
- Water – Obviously hydration is very important for keeping balance in the body and for keeping electrolytes in balance. Drink plenty of water to ensure the body is able to move nutrients through the body.
- Supplements – There are several supplements available to help with muscle tension. Relax Already, by Fundamental Earth is a natural muscle relaxant that can help with muscle spasms and cramps. This product is made with passion flower, valerian root, chamomile, cramp bark, lemon balm, and magnesium ¹. This OTC muscle relaxant is recommended by chiropractors and is often used in place of prescription muscle relaxants that can become addictive. It can be used for stress, tension, restless legs syndrome, TMJ, fibromyalgia, insomnia, menstrual cramps, neck spasms, and back spasms. It has been used by many and can be the answer to your muscle cramps.
- Stretching – This may seem obvious, but many people forget to stretch their body. Stretching allows for the body to warm up and prepare for the activity that is coming. Before exercise, try to stretch and allow the body to warm up so you are less likely to become injured. After exercise, it is also imperative to stretch and let the body enter its cool down mode.
- Heating/Cooling – Changes the temperature on muscles is a great way to ease the pain. Heating eases the pain and allows for relaxation. Icing the muscle is the best way to stop inflammation. This altering of hot and cold will ease tension and prevent muscle spasms from occurring.
- Cherry Extract – Many athletes know of the power of tart cherry juice to help with muscle pain and to promote anti-inflammation. However, carrying juice around and being in a position to drink it can be problematic for avid runners. A Cherry Fruit extract tablet can be the perfect answer. They are more convenient than juice and have much less sugar. They work to improve joint health, promote pH balance, and maintain healthy uric acid levels. They have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can also improve the immune system and the cardiovascular system.
- Chiropractic Care – Regular maintenance care at our office can help prevent spasms by helping to maintain the integrity and normal biomechanics of your spine. A chiropractic adjustment stimulates something in your body called mechanoreceptors that actually inhibit spasm ².