You Don’t Have to Live With It
One of the most common reasons patients seek care at my office is for neck pain relief. In fact, it is one of the most common symptoms that people have. Neck pain can range from a mild stiff neck to pain that is so severe that the patient is not able to work or carry on with normal activities of daily living. The reason neck pain is so common has to do with a variety of factors. The neck is composed of 7 vertebrae that are held together by ligaments and muscles. Your neck has to hold up your head, which may be in awkward positions throughout the day. You may sleep in an odd position, or work in such a way that your neck is always looking down. One of the most common reasons people seek chiropractic care for neck pain is because they were in a motor vehicle accident and have a whiplash injury.
There are numerous causes for you to have neck pain/neck stiffness; it’s imperative that you seek the care of a doctor or chiropractic (DC) that has many years of experience. I have literally seen thousands of patients in my career; I would estimate that more than half of them had neck pain. The reason I see so many patients with neck injuries is because for the past 20 years, I have specialized in treating patients that have been involved in car accidents.
Neck pain and it’s associated spinal misalignments can cause a myriad of other symptoms including:
It is imperative that if you are having any of the above symptoms that you get quality chiropractic care to help treat the cause and not just the symptoms you are experiencing. You should always seek care soon after any injury, accident or fall that causes neck pain. It is our goal to not only alleviate your symptoms, but to eliminate the cause of your problem as well. Check out my 5 Tips to alleviate stress-induced neck pain.
Help for Stiff Neck
Stiff necks are no fun in your life. When your pain is annoying, that can set you back during the day. However, when that pain is making your head spin and it is putting your life on hold, it may be time to consider alternate care for your neck.
Check out these signs of neck troubles that may require you to visit your local chiropractor.
- Stiffness – The muscle stiffness in your neck doesn’t go away after a few days or even lessen in its intensity.
- Range of Motion – Moving your head from right to left or up and down causes severe pain.
- Medication – You need pain medication just to make it through the day.
- Travel – Neck pain has traveled from the neck region to numbness or tingling in the extremities.
- Severity – Neck pain is worse in the morning and gets progressively better throughout the day.
- Recent Injury – If you have experienced a recent injury that may have involved whiplash and it hasn’t healed and improved since the accident, it may be time to visit a chiropractor.
What Happens Next?
Once it is determined that chiropractic treatment can help, here’s what you can expect. Chiropractors are like any other doctors, as they will first sit down with you and discuss your medical history. They will determine your health status and any conditions you have that may be contributing to your neck pain. The doctor will then discuss what types of movements make the pain more significant. The physical exam will include, ranges of motion, orthopedic and neurological tests, as well as a palpation exam to feel the tender spots in your neck.
Amara Describes the Relief She Got After Neck Treatment by Dr Spitz
Tips to Keep your Neck at its Best
Here are some great tips to keep your neck functioning at its best.
- Posture – Maintain proper posture when you are standing and even when you are sitting.
- Eye Level – Computer monitors should be at eye level to prevent neck strain.
- Breaks – If you are in the same position for a long period of time take mini breaks to ensure your muscles and neck get a break from lengthy strain.
- Sleep Position – Sleep on your side or your beck and ensure you have a firm pillow.
- Exercise – Take some time throughout the week to exercise your neck and keep the muscles fluid and not tense.
- Source of Stress – Determine the source of the stress that may be giving you tense muscle pain. Find ways to reduce stress in your life and minimize tense muscles.
When looking for a chiropractic office in the Bristol area, we want you to know that we not only care, but use evidence based treatments to help you with your neck pain. At the Chiropractic Health Center of Bristol, we are a natural alternative to the pain medications that are plaguing our society today. If you are not responding to care, or we do not feel that you have a problem that will be helped with chiropractic treatment we will refer you to the appropriate specialist, or refer you for diagnostic testing such as x-ray, MRI or CT scan.
If you are having neck pain, neck stiffness or neck spasm, and are looking for a Bristol CT chiropractor, please call my staff at Chiropractic Health Center of Bristol as soon as possible. You can reach us by clicking Request Appointment below, or by calling our office at 860-583-4346. We are here to help you eliminate the pain, and correct the problem that caused it.