Best Natural Treatments for Tension Headaches
Tension headaches are extremely irritating to those who suffer from them. Tension headaches are usually caused by stress that tightens muscles and eventually puts pressure on the neck and spinal area. They can be caused by stress or even bad posture. This type of headache is not usually associated with nausea and often feels like a tight band around your head.
What Triggers Headaches?
Depending on the type of headache you are experiencing, there are different types of triggers. Some headaches are hormonal in nature and triggered by menstrual cycle hormones. Other headaches are caused by stress and occur in the neck region. These headaches are known as tension headaches. What triggers are found with these types of headaches? Stress is one cause and another cause can be fixed positions where the neck is not moved on a regular basis. With today’s computer-based jobs, there are many hours spent in front of a computer where the body is set in a fixed position without varying movement to relieve stress from joints and muscles.
What Can You Do to Help Tension Headaches?
There are several things that can help to ease the discomfort when encountering a tension headache.
- Exercise – The act of exercising can help to release muscles from strained positions and allow the blood to flow throughout the body. Low-impact exercise can be a great way of reducing stress and tension that can lead to headaches.
- Hydrate – Ensure that you are getting 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated and keep the headaches at bay.
- See a Chiropractor – This is one of the best options available if you are a chronic tension headache sufferer. By taking the time to set up an appointment with Dr. David Spitz at the Chiropractic Health Center of Bristol, you can start on the pathway to a healthier, headache-free version of yourself. He works at treating the entire body and working on a plan that is customized to your specific needs. He can work with you to improve your health and impact the severity and frequency of troubling headaches in your life.
- Hot Shower – Often times, just taking a hot shower can ease the pain associated with a tension headache. The relief is often temporary and you should seek out the cause of your chronic headaches.
- Meditation – Meditation is a great way to help control stress over the long-term. Practiced daily, it can help reduce the frequency of tension headaches.
The path of chiropractic care is the most stable and long-lasting techniques to help with headaches suppression. By aligning the joints and spine, the body is able to reset and give your neck and back a break from the tension that it is enduring on a daily basis. If your job is repetitive or involves fixed positions, Dr. Spitz may come up with an exercise and break plan that can be incorporated into your everyday routine. He also uses natural muscle relaxants to help ease strained and tense muscles, called Relax Already. This in conjunction with CryoDerm, a natural topical analgesic, can be combined to provide natural relief that will not interfere with any current medications.
To make an appointment, please call his office at 860-583-4346 or click button below.